This applies not only to the world of sports but also to companies such as Daimler. We accompanied the German soccer team along their way to winning the World Cup in 2014. Mercedes-Benz’s impressive victory in the Formula 1 Championship racing series also reflects our great determination. All signs point to growth at all of our divisions. We are on schedule with the implementation of our efficiency programs and our new vehicle models have met with an outstanding response on the market. Our groundbreaking innovations in the areas of safety, fuel efficiency and autonomous driving have made a huge impression as well. The components of our strategy are coalescing into a coherent whole. We will consistently pursue this strategy.
“Mercedes me” is presented in Geneva. Mercedes-Benz presents its new “Mercedes me” service brand on the eve of the 84th International Motor Show in Geneva. This new umbrella brand combines existing and future service offerings, making them easily accessible at any time on a digital platform on the Internet.
Mercedes me | Mercedes-Benz presents new service brand
- Mercedes-Benz presents the new C-Class in Detroit. The all-new C-Class is the highlight of the auto show presentation. The C-Class sets efficiency benchmarks in its class, thanks to an intelligent lightweight design concept, excellent aerodynamics and new, economical engines. Numerous new assistance systems ensure the highest degree of safety.
- The new V-Class rolls off the line. The first new V-Class is built at the Mercedes-Benz plant in Vitoria, Spain. The production launch of the new model marks the achievement of a further milestone in the Mercedes-Benz Vans growth strategy. The new V-Class combines the functionality of a van with the typical strengths of Mercedes-Benz cars — everything from emotive design and high-quality interior appointments to exemplary safety features and fuel-efficient driving pleasure.
- “Mercedes me” is presented in Geneva. Mercedes-Benz presents its new “Mercedes me” service brand on the eve of the 84th International Motor Show in Geneva. This new umbrella brand combines existing and future service offerings, making them easily accessible at any time on a digital platform on the Internet.
- World premiere of the new S-Class coupe. A stylistically confident appearance, exclusive appointments and sophisticated sportiness — the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class coupe at the Geneva Motor Show. The model’s curve tilting function also marks a world premiere. The lateral acceleration that acts upon vehicle occupants is reduced in a manner similar to what occurs when a motorcycle leans into a steep curve. The new curve tilting function thus enhances driving pleasure and comfort on country roads especially.
- Daimler begins building a new bus plant in India. Daimler is investing some €50 million in a bus plant to be built on an area of roughly 113,000 square meters at the site of an existing truck manufacturing facility in Chennai. The product range will include front-engine buses from the BharatBenz brand that are tailored to the specific needs of the volume bus market in India.
- Daimler to sell its stake in Rolls-Royce Power Systems. Daimler announces its intention to sell its 50% interest in Rolls-Royce Power Systems (RRPS, formerly Tognum) to its partner Rolls-Royce. On the basis of long-term supply agreements, Daimler will remain a key supplier of heavy-duty and medium-duty diesel engines to RRPS. Daimler will use the €2.4 billion in income it expects from the sale to strengthen the Group’s core business.
- Daimler issues first corporate bond in China. Daimler becomes the first foreign company to issue a bond in China. The so-called panda bond has a volume of 500 million renminbi (approximately €60 million) and a term of one year. The bond issue provides Daimler with an additional source of financing for its rapidly expanding business activities in China.
- New service: corporate car-sharing. Daimler Fleet Management, a provider of fleet-management and fleet-leasing services, will expand its range of services to include corporate car-sharing for fleet customers. The new mobility solution will allow corporate fleets to be used more efficiently.
The new V-Class rolls off the line. The first new V-Class is built at the Mercedes-Benz plant in Vitoria, Spain. The production launch of the new model marks the achievement of a further milestone in the Mercedes-Benz Vans growth strategy. The new V-Class combines the functionality of a van with the typical strengths of Mercedes-Benz cars — everything from emotive design and high-quality interior appointments to exemplary safety features and fuel-efficient driving pleasure.
- Daimler Trucks celebrates a production milestone in China. Beijing Foton Daimler Automotive Co., Ltd. (BFDA), a 50-50 joint venture between Daimler and the Chinese truck manufacturer Foton Motor, achieves a major milestone when the 150,000th unit of the jointly produced Auman brand truck rolls off the assembly line.
- Daimler Mobility Services becomes moovel GmbH. The umbrella company for the car2go, car2go black and moovel mobility services is renamed moovel GmbH. With this step, Daimler underscores the importance of the mobility platform, as well as its strong customer focus. The moovel mobility app already offers its users a central access portal for numerous mobility services with various modes of transport.
- Dividend of €2.25. During the Annual Shareholders’ Meeting in Berlin, Daimler AG shareholders approve the distribution of a dividend of €2.25 per share for the year 2013 (prior year: €2.20). The total dividend payout amounts to €2,407 million.
- car2go launches cross-border service. Since the end of 2012, car2go member-card holders in Germany have been able to rent more than 3,500 smart fortwo vehicles at seven car2go locations in Germany. Eleven European locations now allow car2go members from other countries to use the service.
- Daimler shares its compliance expertise with other companies. The first-ever Daimler Compliance Academy meets with a great response. More than 50 representatives of companies from various sectors participate in the academy seminar in April 2014. The seminar offers an interactive platform for sharing experiences related to compliance trends and discussing the challenges compliance officers face.
- Partnership with Renault-Nissan expanded. The Renault-Nissan Alliance and Daimler AG decide to significantly expand their cooperation through the joint development of premium compact cars and the joint production of vehicles in Mexico. A newly established 50-50 joint venture will be responsible for building and operating a new manufacturing facility in Aguascalientes in the northern part of central Mexico. After the initial launch phase, the new plant will be ramped up to an annual capacity of 300,000 units.
- Daimler on course for profitable growth. In the second quarter of 2014, the company once again sets new records for sales and revenue and significantly increases its operating profit from ongoing business operations. The outlook for full-year 2014 remains positive.
Production launch for DENZA in China. The first units of Daimler’s DENZA electric vehicle roll off the production line at Shenzhen BYD Daimler New Technology Co., Ltd. (BDNT) in China. The successful production launch marks yet another cooperation milestone for Daimler and its Chinese partner Build Your Dreams (BYD). The DENZA fully lives up to its promise to be the safest, most reliable and most sophisticated electric vehicle from and for China.
- World premiere of new smart models. smart presents its two all-new city cars: fortwo and forfour. The new models retain the tried-and-tested rear-engine concept but offer more of everything – more comfort, more safety and more driving pleasure in the city.
- Daimler presents an autonomously driving truck. The Mercedes-Benz Future Truck 2025 is equipped with the extremely intelligent Highway Pilot assistance system, which enables it to drive completely autonomously at speeds of up to 85 km/h on a highway. With this autonomous vehicle, Daimler is once again highlighting the pioneering role it plays in innovative technologies as it ushers in a new era of truck transport.
- World premiere of the Mercedes-AMG GT. The new Mercedes-AMG GT stands for pure driving pleasure and breathtaking design. Agile, sporty and dynamic — that’s the only way to describe the second sports car developed fully independently by Mercedes-AMG. It’s uncompromising on the racetrack, yet also suitable for everyday use.
- The new Western Star 5700XE is presented. This truck combines Western Star’s legendary styling and reliable durability with excellent fuel economy as well as Daimler’s tried and tested aerodynamic features. The 5700XE will go into production in Cleveland, North Carolina (USA) in 2015.
- Specialist symposiums on connected driving and data protection and sponsorship. Daimler creates new platforms for dialogue between society and industry with its “Automobile on the Data Highway” and “Responsible Sponsorship” specialist symposiums. In this manner, the company promotes an interdisciplinary and constructively critical exchange with its stakeholders.
- 40-year partnership with Kuwait. The Kuwait Investment Authority (KIA) has been an investor in Daimler for the past 40 years. During this time, Kuwait has become Daimler’s most reliable partner, despite the various ups and downs in the company’s history. KIA currently owns 6.8% of the company's shares, making it Daimler’s largest shareholder. The anniversary of the launch of the partnership is celebrated at a ceremony in Stuttgart.
- Production launch for DENZA in China. The first units of Daimler’s DENZA electric vehicle roll off the production line at Shenzhen BYD Daimler New Technology Co., Ltd. (BDNT) in China. The successful production launch marks yet another cooperation milestone for Daimler and its Chinese partner Build Your Dreams (BYD). The DENZA fully lives up to its promise to be the safest, most reliable and most sophisticated electric vehicle from and for China.
- Daimler Employee Survey 2014. Some 260,000 staff members from more than 40 countries take part in the Daimler Employee Survey between September 15 and October 3, 2014. The survey is an instrument for eliciting employee opinions on important topics related to the work environment and the management situation. The results are used to develop measures for improving the organization.
- Public premiere for the Vito. The new Vito is presented to a global audience in Berlin. In order to better serve commercial customers, the model is available for the first time in three drive system variants. It also boasts a high payload and outstanding safety.
Mercedes-Maybach celebrates its world premiere. Our new Mercedes-Maybach sub-brand and the first model from this exclusive brand celebrate their world premiere simultaneously in the United States and China. Mercedes-Maybach stands for prestigious exclusivity and is aimed at highly sophisticated customers.
- New FUSO trucks for Indonesia. The product range in Indonesia has been expanded with trucks of the new medium-and heavy-duty series FUSO FI and FUSO FJ. The new FUSO models are produced in Chennai, India, and are intended to further strengthen the Group’s market leadership in Indonesia.
- Mercedes-Benz is the most valuable premium automotive brand. Mercedes-Benz moves up to 10th place in the rankings for Best Global Brands 2014 compiled by the Interbrand consulting firm in the United States, making it the only European company to reach the top 10 in the list of the 100 most valuable brands.
- Daimler restructures cooperation with Tesla. Daimler decides to reorganize its cooperation with Tesla Motors Inc. and sell its roughly 4% stake in the company. The sale generates proceeds of approximately €600 million, which will be used to strengthen business operations. Cooperation with Tesla will nevertheless remain an important part of Daimler’s activities in the field of electric mobility in the future.
- A new international employer image campaign is launched. “That’s Us” is the slogan for Daimler’s new employer image campaign, which puts the company’s employees in the spotlight. The international campaign is directed at potential job applicants from all over the world.
- Mercedes-Maybach celebrates its world premiere. Our new Mercedes-Maybach sub-brand and the first model from this exclusive brand celebrate their world premiere simultaneously in the United States and China. Mercedes-Maybach stands for prestigious exclusivity and is aimed at highly sophisticated customers.
- Formula 1 World Championship. MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS wins the Constructors’ Championship by a wide margin. Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton is crowned World Champion after the final race in Abu Dhabi, while Nico Rosberg finishes the season in second place.
- €2.5 billion for the company pension fund. The Daimler Supervisory Board decides to make an extraordinary contribution of €2.5 billion to the company pension fund in Germany. This additional funding will give employees more security and also have a positive impact on the Group’s interest income in the future.